I think I’ve been asked at least a dozen times in the past few weeks how the book is going. My response is that “it’s going.” I figured I’d better take a few moments and explain my delay.
Overall, I had to make some significant changes in order to make it the best possible story. Some of my changes have been documented here, such as scrapping my prologue and changing my main character’s name. Both decisions were made for the good of the story. Getting rid of the prologue and writing a completely new first chapter changed the overall direction. Because of this, the remaining chapters needed to be retooled. I also decided to add a few more because I felt parts of the story were too rushed. I’ve also documented a few times about rushing and getting complacent (read: lazy). I feel I didn’t let parts of the story naturally develop through plot and dialogue and instead chose the quick way out by explaining it away in a paragraph or two. It’s a disservice to the potential reader and as much as I would love to be done with it, I’d much rather keep you all waiting in anticipation 🙂 than put out a piece of work that was not my absolute best effort.
I’m currently on summer break from school and it is my hope and prayer that I finish before the beginning of the semester in late August. It is also my hope and prayer that it will be the last time I announce this book is finished. Thanks so much for your encouragement and kind words as I go through this process. I promise there will be a finished product soon.