I enjoy writing stories. Simple as that. I enjoy letting my imagination fly free, entertaining the voices of characters that dialogue in my brain and letting their scenarios unfold. I am a storyteller.
However, is story telling easy when you’re being pulled in a million directions? No.
Is it easy when people don’t fully believe in your craft or think you should be working on something else? No.
Have there been moments when I caved in to these outside influences? Yes.
There is a publisher whose motto is “For the simple enjoyment of telling stories.”
For me, that one line says it all. I do this for enjoyment of the craft. Everything else that comes of it is a by-product. I’m learning that it so easy to lose sight of why we do what we do when we give in to these influences (some of which are well-meaning) and it’s very easy to get thrown off track and find yourself wondering, “Why am I doing this again?”
Again, for me, it’s so simple. For the love of the craft.
I recently discovered The Insecure Writers Support Group. The purpose? To share in our struggles and encourage one another. Today’s post is a monthly effort to be more transparent and to support other writers. To see a complete list of members and leave a kind word, click here. Please and thank you!
- IWSG Post: Inside or Out (michalatyann.wordpress.com)
- IWSG and What’s Up, Wednesday (dawnall.wordpress.com)
- IWSG: An introduction and an edit (diaryofanirnbrujunkie.wordpress.com)
- IWSG: A Bridge Between Clouds (ascenicroute.wordpress.com)
- Declare Your Independence!: an #IWSG Post (tossingitout.blogspot.com)
- Insecure? Join Alex J Cavanaugh and #IWSG (tossingitout.blogspot.com)
- #IWSG: Will the Cycle End? (writingreadingandlife.com)
- Insecure Writers’ Support Group Day – Focusing On Support! (joannegphillips.wordpress.com)