At the beginning of August, I challenged myself to draft out a novella or get up to 25000 words written…I’ll cut right to it; I didn’t make the word count goal.
However, I found myself making more time to write during August. A short piece was posted every weekend as well as a blog post each Monday. Word counts don’t motivate me, so I likely won’t ever participate in NaNoWriMo. However, scenes and deadlines do. Starting up my weekend fiction pieces has helped me focus on setting an attainable goal. If I could write one scene per week, regardless of length, eventually this is what’s going to happen:
Scenes —> Chapters —> Novel/Novella/Collection
I’ll be going into week three of classes this week and the second of many tests is coming up (yeah, we had a test during week 2). Additionally, my workload has gone up some. So, I still have some challenges but I remain committed to working on this craft. Now that I’ve been able to set goals that work for me, keeping my commitment should be a little easier.
I set out on this challenge because I wanted to stop being a (writing) bum. I wanted to write something before school started. Since I had set a word count goal and failed, no Kindle for me. However, I’m no longer a bum and I have written several somethings before the start of the semester, so I’ll go on and take that victory.